It's nice to get a little recognition. This was the very first World Autism Day. New statistics just came in the end of March and I have to say they are scary!
Definition - "Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and autism are both general terms for a group of complex disorders of brain development. These disorders are characterized, in varying degrees, by difficulties in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication and repetitive behaviors."
Did you know ...
- Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys
- Autism prevalence figures are growing
- More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- Autism costs the nation $126 billion per year
- Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
- Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism
Autism is a lot of things that make life both difficult and joyful. Every Autistic child is very different. The spectrum is so huge and they all have a different mix of personalities and Autistic traits. Here are some of Dawson's.
A bit quirky
Often hard to reach, both physically and emotionally
A silly sense of humor
Continually needing to be taught. Like size concepts for example. About 80% of what I say to him is for teaching and therapy purposes. Constantly being aware of his speech, my speech, his behaviors, his emotions, my emotions, everything all fits together to make our day better or worse and to help him.
Mischievious little stinker
Interesting habits and social behaviors. He was being a puppy here. He still licks me occasionally. Right now his obsession is string. He weaves it around things. He also is getting back to spinning things more. A very common Autistic trait.
A need for sensory things, calming routines and objects. Water is his current big thing that helps calm him.
Goofy personality. In Dawson's words, he is "Cute, Sweet and Silly". We came up with that when he was 2 and it has stuck. At least he has good self esteem. :)
Overall pretty darn adorable. We have our days. Some where we can't imagine doing this any longer. But then there are many times where my cute, sweet, silly boy is here and it is all ok and managable. We will get through this. With the help of this adorable face. :)