Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Grandpa Passed Away

My Grandpa passed away March 11th after coming home from the hospital. He will be missed a lot. At the same time I'm glad he isn't suffering anymore. He spent about 30 years with Emphysema and it was hard to watch the downhill battle.

I'm very grateful for all the time I got to spend with him. I spent a week each summer at their house until I was 15. I think I learned the most about him during those times. We did so many things together, baling hay, feeding cows, fixing fences, grilling hamburgers. He took my sister and I horseback riding at a stable on a whim once. We also played cards and checkers a lot, even though it was a hopeless battle because his memory was so good he always won! I also saw him at almost every holiday and birthday. It was always nice to see his smile and hear his chuckle.

His funeral was Monday, March 16th at Union Church in Elk River. Visitation was Sunday from 4-8pm at Dare's Funeral Home in Elk River. He is buried at the Danish Cemetery along with my Grandma's side of the family. It was a nice funeral, my mom had written things about his life for the minister to read. I like that it was more personal.

Here's me with Grandma and Grandpa at my college graduation in May 2005
The rose I got after the burial service. Everyone was given one from the huge bouquet they had on top of the casket. It's the prettiest flower I've ever had.

No comments: