Sunday, November 27, 2011

Big Clothes Project

Today's goal was all the kid's clothes. I use plastic bins to store each size. I have 1 bin per size and have always kept them pretty neat. When the baby grows out of a size, I get the new size out of the closet and put the old size away. However, when living at RMH it's more difficult. I don't have time or energy to keep things neat, so clothes get shoved into a bag as they get outgrown or an empty diaper box. Gabriel was in 0-3 month clothes when we moved into RMH and he was in 12mo before we moved out of there. Tyler went from 18mo to 24mo and some 2T while we were there. Dawson went from 3T to 4T. So we had a ton of clothes in just about every size to sort and get into bins. Plus people had given us clothes too, so it was a lot of sorting.
Dan helped me bring all the totes out of the closet and we spread them around the room to have access to them all while we sort. I also wanted to go through and get rid of some things we don't want or need, the jeans with holes, etc. I started and saw Tyler's jacket, and his cute fluffy robe and some other things. I then decided I wasn't going to be able to do this project without some distraction. So I called up a friend from my mom's club and she was happy to come over and help. So we sorted clothes and chatted a bit. Gabriel started fussing after a while, so then she kept him entertained while I got more done. It's so nice having help! Here's the room full of bins.
2 bins and a box of clothes I'm going to get rid of
Some is going to another boy with Infant Leukemia. They just moved to LA from South Africa to get better treatment and they are stuck with all the medical bills since they don't qualify for insurance here in the US. So I figured the least I can do is help out with clothes and some toys. I have a bin that's going to Once Upon a Child. I sell clothes there and get more of what we need with the money I get from them. Some of it is going to a Christmas donation organization for needy families. I just heard about that tonight, so I'm going to sort through the toys for them too in the next couple days. I also have blankets and stuff for the Women's Shelter in town and our unused blankets are going to a cancer organization, Blair's Tree of Hope, to go back to the hospital for other kids with cancer. So this week's goal is to get all that stuff to where it needs to go! Except  BTOH, I'm meeting with her another time. For incentive, some of the things that need to leave this place are now in the hallway.

After she left, Gabriel was being fussy, so I was chatting with another friend on facebook and she ended up coming over to play with Gabriel for a while so I could finish. It's nice having a friend who lives only a couple minutes away! He was being a bit fussy and towards last he was even giving me dirty looks. I got it all sorted into bins and boxes of what goes where though and the rest put back into the closet.
It's really nice not having this pile in front of the closet anymore. Some of it is in the hallway, other stuff got tossed onto another pile of stuff, so I can't really say it found a home, but at least it's less in the way now. It's a start. At least this area looks nicer now. This is the "before" picture. Now all that's left is the bassinet that has some things in it but nothing next to it or in front of the door.

For not even wanting to get out of bed today, I think I got a lot done. I've been trying to get up earlier, but today it just wasn't happening. I had gotten up to get Gabriel and nurse him, but then Dan took him when he got up and I fell back asleep. Dan sent Dawson to tell me to get up and he came in with his cute face and said "Get up please Mommy!". So of course I had to. Dawson helped me with laundry today too, we got 2 loads done. He likes carrying the quarters and putting them in the machine (apartment laundry).

I'm hoping to get some of that stuff out of here while Dawson is at school this week. Tuesday and Wednesday I have people coming over. I also have appts on Wednesday and Thursday morning. It's looking to be a busy week, which will be nice.

This poem I got from another grieving mom.


My First Christmas in Heaven

I see the countless
Christmas trees
around the world below
With tiny lights, like Heaven's stars,
reflecting on the snow

The sight is so spectacular,
please wipe away the tear
For I am spending Christmas with
Jesus Christ this year.

I hear the many Christmas songs
that people hold so dear
But the sounds of music can't compare
with the Christmas choir up here.

I have no words to tell you,
the joy their voices bring,
For it is beyond description,
to hear the angels sing.

I know how much you miss me,
I see the pain inside your heart.
But I am not so far away,
We really aren't apart.

So be happy for me, dear ones,
You know I hold you dear.
And be glad I'm spending Christmas
with Jesus Christ this year.

I sent you each a special gift,
from my heavenly home above.
I sent you each a memory
of my undying love.

After all, love is a gift more precious
than pure gold.
was always most important
the stories Jesus told.

Please love and keep each other,
my Father said to do.
I can't count the blessing or love
has for each of you.

So have a Merry Christmas and
Wipe away that tear
Remember, I am spending Christmas with
Jesus Christ this year

No comments: