Friday, February 12, 2010

Long Clinic Day

Tyler had chemo today. It was 4 hours of IV fluids, then 1 hour of chemo. It went well I think. Was a very long day with both boys but we survived. I got permission to go to McDonalds while Tyler got his 4 hours of fluids before chemo. They said we could go anywhere in the hospital on just fluids, but had to stay in the unit with chemo. We took full advantage of this! We went to McDonalds and ended up talking to a couple other adult cancer patients. One who just had to brag to someone that he is officially a survivor as of today. :)

After that we visited Tyler's nurses and circled the floor to see who all was there. Nobody we knew, so we headed back downstairs. We filled Tyler's prescriptions and then I went online for a few minutes (until Dawson's sucker ran out), then headed back to the Oncology clinic. That took care of 90 minutes.

So then we circled the unit for quite a while, played some kid's mini-golf and circled some more. Dawson found a car to ride in, so then I was pushing sleeping Tyler in the double stroller, pulling the IV pole and pulling Dawson's car next to me. No, I don't have 3 arms either! :)

The nurse decided to start the chemo at the 3 hour mark and have him double up on chemo and fluids for that last hour. So thankfully we got out of there an hour earlier than expected. We still spent from 9:30am until 3pm at the hospital/clinic. A very long day for 2 little boys and a mommy who is getting over being sick and only got about a 30 minute nap for sleep last night!

Afterward we went to my Grandma's house and the boys played and had fun being free to roam (for the most part). Was nice to visit and spend some time with her.

Tyler's yeast infection is looking great! It had been getting worse each day, it was even a greenish color the night before last! I finally decided to just put gauze over the site, like a couple others I talk to advised. It worked! It completely dried up and is already starting to heal just overnight. There's finally scabs on the bad spots, vs yeast goo. It was gross. The nurse kinda cringed when I mentioned taking advice from "online friends", until I added they are also infant Leukemia moms. Then she seemed a bit relieved!

Tyler's main Oncologist is thrilled with how he is doing. He wasn't assigned to see us, but came over anyway. He really likes seeing how "his" baby is doing. I put Tyler on the floor and he crawled over to him. The Dr held out his hands and Tyler quickly pulled himself up. The Dr was grinning ear to ear, seeing how well Tyler was moving around. I think he could've watched him all day! He stopped by twice, just to watch him play a bit. :)

I noticed at the Zoo party that there were no other babies there. I thought maybe they just hadn't come. I asked the nurse if they had other infant Leukemia patients and she said no! Tyler is the only one. No wonder they make such a huge deal over him! I knew it's rare, but wow! I guess I was thinking maybe there'd be at least 1 other here.

Tyler has labs on Wednesday and chemo on Friday if labs look good. It's just the Ara-C that I give at home. They insist on giving the first dose at the clinic. I have no clue why, they just say they want to see him. I guess I thought that's why we have Home Care, they do blood pressure and all that too! She said maybe he'll need transfusions, but we did those in town here last time. It's just a big hassle, but at least we have an afternoon appointment so I don't have to lose so much sleep for it.

Hopefully he won't have any complications with this chemo. It's known to be hard on the kidneys, some have said their baby has had blood in the urine from it. The Dr didn't seem to think Tyler would have this problem, so that's good. I guess we'll see. 
Dawson ate cheerios and watched cartoons from the crib for a while
Tyler preferred the floor
This shirt really fits Dawson
He was being quite a ham today
Tyler wasn't so thrilled about being hooked up. He was getting frustrated with tripping over his lines
So he joined Dawson in the crib for a while. This is his goofy / happy face.
He has many goofy faces!!
So does Dawson!
By the end of the day, we were getting pretty goofy trying to keep up Dawson's happy mood
Tyler was pretty content, until this kept happening, he really wasn't liking those lines! He was totally stuck, wrapped around twice!
Dawson and Tyler standing in the crib. Interesting to compare their height. I don't see them standing next to each other often, they move too fast. Dawson had shoes on too, but he's 35 inches and Tyler is 28 inches.

No comments: